Wednesday, October 15, 2014

How-To: Burlap table runner (no sewing necessary!)

So one day while I was scouring pinterest for craft ideas (I seem to do that a lot), I came across this gem of a craft: A no-sew, super easy, adorable table runner! I was dying to give it a try because, well, no-sew is just awesome for me. I know my dear mother so desperately wants me to learn so we can have that in common and then she can trick me into buying one of her $8,000 sewing/embroidery machines, but it just has not happened yet. maybe someday...
Anyways, this table runner was sooooo easy to make; it took me maybe an hour, and it looks so good on our little coffee table! I'm pretty impressed that I pulled it off :). So, ready to learn how to make it? OK, great! (Sidenote- this isn't my craft idea, I found it on pinterest. Just thought I should say that for copyrights or any junk like that, haha:)). you'll need:

  • burlap fabric
  • fused webbing
  • scissors
  • iron
  • damp cloth
  1. So first, you'll need to decide how much burlap you will need. I only needed a yard, because it was for a coffee table and I don't like my table runners to hang off the ends much. Measure your desired table with a measuring tape and then go from there. I picked my fabric up at Joann's (they almost always have good coupons so it shouldn't cost you very much).
  2. Once you have your fabric, lay it face down. Start at the shorter end and fold it over about 1 inch. This will be your crease.
  3. After you have folded and creased the fabric, take your iron and press your crease down.
  4. Once it is pressed, cut a strip of fused webbing and place it just underneath the end of the creased fabric.
  5. With your damp cloth, dab the burlap on top of the fabric, making the burlap and fused webbing under it wet. this will help bond them.
  6. Take your iron and press the creased fabric. this will cause the fused webbing and burlap to bond together.
  7. Turn to the longer side, fold the fabric over 1 inch and repeat the process.
Voila! cutest table runner for fall/Christmas ;). They do have a wide range of burlap fabric at Joann's so you don't have to do the fabric with the gold polka-dots, I just liked this one best :). All together, this project cost me $15, so not bad on price either! and with the extra fabric I had left, I was able to make cute little couch pillows :).






Well there you have it, my latest project! I'll probably be posting a couple of recipes soon, along with blogs posts all about our adventures with our families that we will be having for the next three weeks, and of course, princess's birthday :). I'm so excited! Thanks for reading, and I hope you give this project a try! :)
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment